GOA: Sporting Clube de Goa continued to be rooted at the bottom of the pool and winless in seven matches after they went down 1-3 against Bengaluru FC at Nehru Stadium, Fatorda, on Saturday.

Sporting Clube were encouraged by their one-all draw against Pune FC in the last game, and although they were up against the defending champions, they were confident they could get a positive result. But Bengaluru FC, the I-League and Federation Cup champions, had other ideas as they handed Sporting their fourth loss in seven matches.

Sean Rooney (29, 45′) scored a brace in the first half before Anthony Wolfe (66′) pulled one back for the hosts in the second session. Sporting, encouraged by Wolfe’s goal, pressed for the equalizer but Beikhokhei Beingaichho (86′) won full points for the visitors and helped calm nerves after they were hammered 1-4 by Mohun Bagan.

Bengaluru FC, not surprisingly, started brightly and created their first opening within the first three minutes. Sean Rooney sprinted down the right flank and played the ball for Robin Singh inside the box, only for Sandesh Jhingan to show his class at the back.

Bengaluru FC were rewarded for all their probing just before the half hour mark. Following a free kick from the left, Lalchhuanmawia received the ball and made a run on the left and sent a cross deep into the box where Robin Singh headed to a better-placed Sean Rooney who gently placed the ball to the far corner of the net with a left-footer beating keeper Ravi Kumar all ends up.

Sporting were taken aback by the goal and tried to take remedial measures. Victorino Fernandes and Ogba Kalu threatened briefly but their final touch lacked precision. Just when it looked like Sporting would taste success, Bengaluru FC tightened their grip on the match when they doubled the advantage. Rooney’s freekick was lucky to find the mark as it deflected off the Sporting wall and fooled goalkeeper Ravi Kumar under the Sporting horizontal.

After a couple of missed chances, Sporting Clube were able to claw their way back into the match The breakthrough came in the 66th minute when Victorino and substitute Anthony Wolfe combined to create an opportunity for the Trinidad and Tobago striker who finished with an appreciable lob.

Sporting looked like they would at least get a point. They pressed more men forward and played positively only for Bengaluru FC to show just how clinical they can be. It was Beingaichho who was at the right end to meet Robin Singh’s cross that had taken a wicked deflection.

Hero of the Match – Sean Rooney (BFC).

-I-League Media

You may also like...