Highlanders go down to Chennaiyin FC

Chennaiyin FC played against the highlanders, Northeast United FC, in the Hero Indian Super League season 4 at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Chennai on 23/11/2017.

Northeast United FC were thrashed by the home side with a 3-0 score line at marina arena and Augusto being the show man with two goals in the first half and the last goal coming from the super sub Rafi in the second half. Chennaiyin FC dominated the game with some good passing and creating chances, whereas highlanders played attacking game but couldn’t really make something out of it. Ball possession was equally shared by both the teams.

Home team kicked-off the first half on an attacking note, creating chance from the wing. In the process, home side lost the ball to the visitors who quickly made an impact. In attempt of a clearance, Karanjith rushed out of his line but failed to do that. He hist the ball straight to Northeast United’s captain who immediately tried to shoot on a empty goal. But his lofted ball went over a little high and landed on the goal. Both the teams were playing a attacking game and also loosing the ball to each other on the go.

As the attacking game went on, defense of both the teams were quite active. Seven minutes on the clock, in an attempt of interception, Jerry of Chennaiyin FC got hit by the Northeast United’s Odair Junior Lopes Fortes. Fortes’s not so high boot went right to Jerry’s chest, on the right wing. At the end of the same minute, home side created a very good chance for themselves to take the lead. Gregory Nelson with good cross from the left flank created a chance for a header for Francisco Fernandes. Fernandes read the cross well but couldn’t keep his header on target. The header hit the ground and pitched hard enough to clear itself over the cross bar.

Eventually Chennaiyin FC gave themselves a lead. In 10th minute, Augusto scored a wonderful goal to put his side a step ahead. Cutting in from the left, making some space for himself to shoot, Augusto took a shot little far away from the box, which took a deflection of the defender’s head and beat the goalkeeper on Northeast United’s goal line. Home side kept their attacking index on as they made another attempt to score a double. A nice cross the right wing was headed down for Jeje for a shot, but the ball was cleared right for CFC’s corner.

On the 16th minute mark, Northeast United FC managed to create a chance for a goal. A quick passing game by Marcio and Robert gave an opportunity for Marcio to make a pass to his teammate inside the box for a tap in. But his cross couldn’t reach his player as Karanjith intercepted it well. Both the teams played hard in attempt of the goal. Either the passes were not completed at the end or the chance was being cut down by the defense line of both the teams.

Augusto again came up with his second and gave the home side the double lead of the evening. A timed cross form the far right was headed down by Francisco Fernandes to find Jeje for a tap in, the header was deflected by the touch of the Northeast defender and came to Augusto instead, who placed it in well. Chennaiyin were well settled with their defense and passing game. Northeast United were still looking for their first of the evening.

In the 29th minute, Danilo Lopes Cezario attempted a long ranger with his right foot which went straight into the hands of Karanjith. Soon in the end of the same minute, Jeje had a chance on the counter. The high lofted ball in search of Jeje was little away for him as TP Rehenesh cleared it away coming off his line and his box. A good presence of mind by Rehenesh which pushed the danger away.

It was the end of the first half with a score line of 2-0 in favor of the home side.

Northeast got the first free-kick of the second as soon as they kicked off the second half. In the 46th minute, a free-kick by Marcio just sailed away over the cross which was close to goal. The tempo and intensity of the game went high as the game went on with rough tackles coming in along with the frustration. Home side made couple of rough tackles on the visitors which was marked in the referee’s book. Northeast United FC’s coach also looked frustrated because of the harsh challenges on his players.

Series of miss passes and harsh tackles were seen at the Jawarharlal Nehru Stadium with thousands of fans supporting Chennaiyin FC for their play. Defense line of both the teams held themselves strong to cut off the chances and frustrate the opponents. Frustrations were easily seen on the player’s face and in their actions. In the 69th minute a foul on Jeje gave CFC a free-kick on the edge Northeast United’s box. Jerry took the free-kick this time. His shot hit the wall and was deflected for a corner, which earned them nothing.

78 minutes passed, still Northeast United FC were down by 2-0. Nazary in the same minute attempted a shot on goal with his left foot. The shot was well on target but was deflected for a corner. Chennaiyin FC got in Rafi as a super sub. Few seconds into the game he found the back of the nets with a header. In the 83rd minute, Jaime Gavilan Martinez got a free-kick chance on the edge of the box. He managed to beat the wall but couldn’t manage to reach the back of the net. The shot was denied by the cross bar, but came back for Rafi an easy placement and he did not miss that.

In the ending minutes of the game, frustrated visitors made few needless challenges which brought them booking. In the process of the rough tackles, JoaoCarlos Pires de Deus, coach of the visiting side was spoken by the referee and warned for arguing with assistant referee and the line’s men. In the last minute of the added 5 minutes, Chennaiyin had another chance for scoring on the counter. Gregory Nelson found himself with the ball pushing up. But his run was cut down by Abdul Hakku Nediyodath with a good fall back and pushing out for a corner. A short corner by the home side was the last action of the game.

At full time the scoreline was 3-0 favoring the home side, Chennaiyin FC.

You may also like...