A comeback win for the Stallions

ISL : FC Pune City played the Maharashtrian derby today (29-11-2017), hosting Mumbai City FC at Balewadi Stadium in Pune in the Hero Indian Super League 2017-18 season. 

FC Pune City registered a wonderful comeback win against their state rivals, Mumbai City FC. Home side were trailing by 0-1 till 72 minutes and they managed to come out with a win with 2-1 score line.

FC Pune City kicked-off the first half and immediately rushed in for goal. In the process they lost the ball to the visitors which made Mumbai’s first attack possible. In the first minute itself, Mumbai had created a small chance of opening the scoring. The chance was created from the left wing inside the box of Pune which was eventually cleared away.

In the 11th minute, Mumbai’s Gerson tried his luck with his right foot. The shot which was curling in from the left was well saved by Kamaljith on Pune’s goal. Break through came in the 15th minute when Balwanrh Singh neatly cut in from the left flank to his right and waked a shot from his right foot straight into the far bottom corner of Pune’s goal. Balwanth Singh scored his first goal of ISL season 4. Kamaljith had no chance to save that dipping ball.

Home side came into action in the 20th minute when Diego Carlos took a shot on goal. Amrinder was alert to save that shot on the goal line. Soon in the 26th minute, Marcelo Pereira had a good chance to equalize the score line. A good through ball inside the box created a chance for Marcelo Pereira to shoot it in, but he shot it straight at Amrinder instead. Both the teams were hungry for the goals and trying to create opportunities for the same. But both teams denied each other from scoring. Diego saw himself in lot of action on the right flank. In the 33rd minute, Diego managed to come on the ball and make a powerful cross in close to Mumbai’s goalline. The cross was deflected by two or three players before it went out for Pune’s corner, instead of going inside the goal.

In the added 3 minutes after the regular half time period, Pune got two free-kicks in three minutes, in a scoring position. Marcelo Pereira was the man to take those kicks both the times. Marcelo’s in curling ball was blocked by Amrinder on both the occasions. In the 45+2nd minute, a good piece of one-two by Diego and Marcelo created a scoring opportunity for Marcelo, but Raju ‘s on time clearance of the ball left the score line 0-1 at half time.

Visitors kicked off the second half with same attacking game in search of a goal to double their lead, whereas Pune City were still looking for their first.

72 minutes on referee’s watch, and a penalty was awarded to the home side. Diego made a good off the ball run inside box and collected the pass, but was not able control it well enough which made Marcio charge in and grab the ball for clearance. In the process, Raju clipped Diego from behind bringing him to the ground inside his box and conceded a penalty. Alfaro was the man to take the spot kick and make it 1-1 on the score board. Alfaro clinically finished it in, but sending Amrinder the wrong way. This goal boosted Pune’s confidence.

Both the teams were fighting for their next goal. Eventually, the game was an end to end attacking game, where both the teams were making an attempt on each other’s goal. But neither of the defense were letting that to happen. In the 83rd minute, substitute Lucca took a shot, from outside the box, which went straight to Amrinder, making no damage. Next was Gerson of Mumbai to take a shot on Pune’s goal. His right footer shot was blocked by Kamaljith, but wasn’t far away. Balwanth had the chance on the rebound, but was cleared away on time by Fanai.

In the added minutes of the game, Pune City built up three attacks, among which one was successful converted. In the 90+3rd minute, Pune came up with a counter attack from the far right flank. Diego on the ball saw Alfaro’s run into box, leaving the defenders behind. It was two on one situation inside the box, Diego made a on time pass to Alfaro who did not miss the target and finished the game with wining goal. This was the last action of the game.

At full-time score was, FC Pune City 2-1 Mumbai City FC.

You may also like...