Chennaiyin FC beat ATK with a 3-2 scoreline at home

Chennaiyin FC played their fourth match of the Hero Indian Super League Season 4 against ATK at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Chennai today (7/12/2017)

Chennaiyin FC kicked-off the first half. ATK in the 1st minute made the first mistake on a poor back pass. But Majumdar came out of his line well to save it for the clearance. On the other end, Bipin took the first shot of the game from a long distance which was on target but went straight into the safe hands of Karanjith. Both the teams played well and held on to the ball. ATK were more on the attacking side with making couple of chances, but host’s defense stood strong and denied all the chances. Chennaiyin FC as well created few chances, but ATK too was strong to be beaten.

In the 20th minute, Jeje had a chance to shoot the ball in, but a strong challenge stopped him from doing so. Chennaiyin FC looked comfortable on the ball by keeping the ball moving and building up the game.

ATK came up with a chance in the 28th minute Bipin attempted a cross from left wing which went on target. But Karanjit palmed it away to concede a corner. Again in the 34th minute, ATK created another chance with Bipin. A long lofted ball to Bipin was well collected by him and run into the box. In the process of making space for himself, a strong challenge by Sereno stopped Bipin in doing so. Bipin Singh was looking for a penalty but referee, Santosh Kumar kept the game going denying Bipin.

Later in the 36th minute, Chennai’s Jaime Gavilan attempted a shot, but flew off target. Two minutes later Jeje had another chance. A good long cross from far left wing was just high for Jeje to head it in.

At half time score was, Chennaiyin FC 0-0 ATK.

Visitors kicked-off the second half with a attacking strategy. In the 60th minute, Chennaiyin FC built up a chance on the edge of ATK’s box. But eventually it was cleared by the ATK defense. It was in the 66th minute when Chennaiyin scored the opener. The goal came from a short corner when by Gavalin and crossing it in to the far post looking for his captain. Sereno’s header was stopped by the post, but the rebound came to Jeje close to the goal line. Jeje easily headed the ball back to the nets.

After Chennai’s goal, ATK started attacking more and keeping the ball possession. Chennaiyin FC lost the ball every now and then conceding a free-kick. After a series of attacks, ATK managed to score the equalizer in the 76th minute. Zequinha was the man to place the ball in the right bottom of Chennaiyin’s goal after a hustle in the box. Both the teams went on to play intense game their after.

Kuqi got another chance to double the lead in the 80th minute. But Karanjith came off his line well to stop the shot by Kuqi who was under pressure. Soon after three minutes, hosts struck again on the other end. It was Inigo who doubled the lead. Jerry’s assist to Inigo inside ATK’s box was well shot to just place it in, which took a deflection and hit the back of the nets.

ATK’s say never say die attitude came in the picture by the type of game they were playing and creating chances. A well organised play by ATK won them the second equalizer in the 88th minute. A good through ball to Kuqi inside Chennai’s box well struck by him. The shot was blocked first time, but the rebound luckily came back to him which was smashed into the nets.

In the ending minutes of the regulation time, both teams looked for winning goal. Five extra minutes were added after the regular 90 minutes. Chennaiyin FC made those 5 minutes count and scored the winner in first minute of the added time. Inigo managed to get in a quality low cross inside the ATK’s box from the far right. The cross was palmed away by Majumdar, but only as far as Jeje who tapped it in and scored his second of the evening.

ATK kept on attacking for last few minutes looking for another equalizer, but Chennaiyin FC’s defense were unbeaten and the game ended in a 3-2 win for the hosts.

At full-time score was, Chennaiyin FC 3-2 ATK.

You may also like...