Mumbai registered their third win with Balwant’s brace


Northeast United FC played on Mumbai City FC in the Hero Indian Super League season 4 today (20/12/2017)  at Indira Gandhi Stadium in Guwahati.

Northeast United and Mumbai City FC have a difference of two points and four places on the points table and Mumbai having a additional game played.

Early in the third minute, Northeast United FC had their first crucial chance with a miss pass by Mumbai on the back line which gave Marcinho a chance to charge on and attack. His shot after couple of step overs hit the far post to save it for the visitors. Highlanders were making a mark on the game with series of attacks. But they couldn’t get the break through.

Mumbai made their first attack in the 9th minute when Santos had a small chance created in the Northeast’s box. Santos couldn’t really get on the ball as it rolled away in the opposite direction of his run. Both teams were looking for the goal and a winner climb the points table. Highlanders pressed high on Mumbai’s back line.

In the 25th minute, best chance of the game came to the home side with a cross by Nazary inside Mumbai’s box which came to Len evenutually and he missed to strike the ball on target , hence missing a golden opportunity. Again in the 29th minute, a good play by home team inside the box of Mumbai gave chance to Nazary for a shot, but the shot sailed away over the goal, denying another chance.

In the 34th minute Balwanth on the other end got the break through with scoring his third of the season. A good through ball to Balwanth in the midfield made Ravi to come off his line when Balwanth was on the ball. Balwanth confidently got the ball pass through the his legs to get the lead.

Highlanders kept knocking the doors of the Mumbai, but couldn’t break the strong defense line of the visitors. In the 42nd minute, highlanders had a chance on the free-kick taken by Marcinho which went straight into the hands of Amrinder.

At half time the scores were, Northeast united FC 0-1 Mumbai City FC.

This was a must win game for the highlanders and they looked for the goal all the time. First chance of the second half came to Danilo when he took a shot on target, but couldn’t keep the shot on target. As the game went on, number of fouls increased at both the ends.

In the 62nd minute, Ravi Kumar came up with a good diving save to block the shot taken by Emana and keep the scoreline 0-1.

In the 67th minute, Balwanth Singh doubled the lead after a give away on the highlander’s defense and made Emana a chance to charge on the ball and assist Balwanth to score his second of the evening. On the other end, after three minutes, highlanders came up with a chance on the edge of Mumbai’s box. But Mumbai’s defense line stood strong to deny the chance.

Highlanders showed the same game as in the first half with pressing high and trying to create chances. They kept on knocking the doors of Mumbai with series of attacks and getting in set pieces. Atmosphere got a little heated up when Jose made a rough challenge pointing his foot on. Gerson was spot on to charge on Jose for that challenge. Jose got away with a yellow card , luckily.

6 minutes were added after the regular 90 minutes. Highlanders failed to score any goal against the islanders. But additional minutes helped Balwanth to knock the door again with a shot on target. Shot hit the near post and came out to hit Ravi Kumar and again come the cross bar to keep the scoreline 0-2. Balwanth failed to score his hat trick.

In the ending minute, Cesario had a shot on target, but Amrinder had it saved by stretching himself. Mumbai came away with a important three points.

At full time score was, Northeast United FC 0-2 Mumbai City FC.

You may also like...