Chennaiyin FC beat FC Goa with a score line of 3-0 to enter the finals

FC Goa visited Chennai to play the second leg of the second semi final of the Hero Indian Super League season 4 at the Marina Arena against the home team Chennaiyin FC today (13-03-2018)

After the firs leg resulted in a draw, it was do or die situation for both the semi finalists. Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium was covered with Chennaiyin 12th men as they witnessed another spectacular game at home. Sereno lead the home team as usual whereas Mandar took the responsibility to lead his. Visitors kicked off the game keeping the position to build up the attack from right to left on the screens.

In the 5th minute, Narayan and Mandar came together to get in a good cross from the left flank. Mandar’s cross looked dangerous as it swift away close to the goal line as none of Goa players were present inside the box from a tap in and was cleared by Jerry to concede a corner at the end of it. Goa again came up with a good play to threaten the home team. Manadar managed to get a corner after his shot was blocked well by Chennai defense.

In the 11th minute, Karanjeeth and his defense line came up with a save of the match when Hugo made a countable pass to Mandar inside the box who then took a low shot on target. His shot took a deflection from Karanjeeth towards the goal which was later cleared by home captain. Visitors dominated the game with launching attacks and continuously knocking the Chennaiyin’s doors. Karanjeeth again made a brilliant save to deny Lazarote from a free kick taken from just outside the box.

Chennai’s first attack came in 21st minute with a set piece on the right flank. A well taken free kick by Nelson found unmarked Jeje inside the box who timed his jump a fraction too early for the header which resulted in the visitor’s goal kick at the end. In the 26th minute, Jeje finally got a perfect header to direct the ball into the nets from a cross by Nelson from the far left wing. Chennai again hit the nets two minutes after and it was Dhanpal Ganesh to direct the free kick delivered by Nelson again from the left flank and double the lead. In the 32nd minute, Augusto tried his luck with a shot from inside the box from a tight angle. But Naveen managed to stop the shot to concede a corner.

FC Goa were making silly mistakes which gave the home team chances to build up the attack and knock their doors. Home team’s confidence got a boost after the double and the domination on the game changed. Manadar took another good shot on goal after a passionate build up play by the Goans. But Karanjeeth again made a brilliant save to stop the ball from entering the goal and conceding a corner instead.

At the end of the first 45 minutes, a minute was added which did not change the scoreboard and the first half came an end with 2-0 favoring the home team and also with a 3-1 lead on aggregate.

Rapheal Augusto took the second half under way with attacking from right to left on the screens and managed to win a free kick early in the half which was dealt well by Naveen this time. Rapheal tried his luck with a shot at the end of it, but the shot went over the cross bar resulting in Goa’s goal kick.

Coro finally got his first chance in the 23rd minute with launching a shot from inside the box after controlling the overhead ball well on his foot. But Karanjeeth again made the save to deny Coro this time. Both teams tried to keep position of the ball, but failed to keep it for much time which gave the other team a chance to build an attack.

In the 85th minute, Jeje tried to loft the ball over the keeper who was off his line. But a slight hard touch by Jeje took the ball away from the target. Karanjeeth again came into action to block the shot taken by Jahouh and concede a corner. Goa pushed themselves high in the last 15 minutes and created attacks on goal but failed to hit the target whereas Chennaiyin FC depended on the counter attacks. Karanjeeth was exceptional in the game as he made many good saves which included a save in the 85th minute to stop the ball entering the goal from Lanzarote’s free kick.

FC Goa won plenty of free kicks in the Chennaiyin’s half and created chances to get one back. But they somehow failed to beat Chennai’s defense. In the 90th minute, Jeje got his second goal after a defensive mistake made by Ali. Jeje charged on the ball immediately and placed the ball right into the bottom corner of the goal after a touch.

Three added minutes also couldn’t help the visitors in scoring any goal as Chennaiyin FC enter the finals of the Hero Indian Super League season 4 to face Bengaluru FC on the 17th of this month.

At full time, scores were Chennaiyin FC 3-0 FC Goa

You may also like...