Defending champion’s losing streak continues

Chennaiyin FC traveled to Kolkata to face ATK in the Hero Indian Super League season 5 at the Vivekananda Yuva Bharathi Krirangan in Kolkata today.

Chennaiyin FC started off the game with creating an attack immediately and Rapheal registered the first shot which was off target. Visitors had played 4 games and had no wins so far.

ATK made an early impact on the game with getting their first goal in 3rd minute after a poor defensive clearance by CFC. Chennaiyin FC dominated the ball possession however but ATK continued to cause problems for the visitors. In the 11th minute, Kalu Uchhe had another chance of scoring the second, but was denied by Karanjit brilliantly. ATK doubled the lead two minutes later from a free-kick which was conceded cheaply at the edge of the box. Lanzarote delivered a good ball inside the box and Johnson raised himself well to head the ball into far post.

CFC composed themselves and came back with a good play which created a goal scoring opportunity in the 17th minute. Francisco Fernandes managed to get in a good cross from the right to find Carlos who brilliantly directed the ball into the goal with a header. Visiting team continued to keep good ball possession and building attacks to cause problems for Arindam on the goal. ATK attacked quickly unlike Chennaiyin who calmly built every attack. ATK failed to convert a golden opportunity into goal, in the 29th minute, after Khongjee got in a teasing cross into the box. None of the three ATK strikers could get a touch on the ball which would have doubled their lead again.

33 minutes on the clock and CFC were playing with ten men, as Francisco Fernandes was being treated for a nose injury. A similar kind of teasing cross was seen again on the other end, changing nothing on the scoreboard. Chennaiyin FC maintained fantastic possession and were patiently pushing themselves up.

It was a very entertaining first half with a scoreline of 2-1.

Second half was quite similar to the first, where ATK too tried to keep the ball possession but not as much as the visitors. Later in the 55th minute, Johnson failed to clear the ball which gave Carlos to charge on and take a shot. But the shot was off target and another great chance was wasted by the Machans. Both teams were creating good chances after a good build up, but were failing to get the final touch to change the scoreline.

65 minutes on the clock and there were no changes whatsoever on the scoreboard where the hosts were on the lead with 2-1. Atmosphere was little heated when rough tackles ATK’s men came in and the game became little more competative as the Mavhans looked for an equalizer. In the 79th minute, Thoi Singh got in a good cross to find Nelson inside the box whose header was well saved by Arindam to concede a corner.

Next was Uchhe to miss the target in the 84th minute after Jayesh brilliantly had set him up for a shot. Three minutes later CFC countered after ATK lost the ball on the other end. A brilliant piece of defending by Johnson and Gerson stopped CFC from getting the equalizing goal. CFC got in series of attacks in the final minutes of the game which threatened the home side who were just waiting for the final whistle. Visitors were trying to build up the game for the equalizer patiently in the added minutes as well. But nothing worked out for the Chennaiyins as their losing streak continued with 4 defeats in 5 games. Whereas on the other hand, ATK positioned themselves 4th on the points table with 7 points.

The score was 2-1 at full-time favoring the home side.

You may also like...